Saturday, March 19, 2011

One Success, One Failure

My friend Corey gave me this old hydraulic jack that he didn't need (that he also received for free from someone). A few weeks ago, I tried to use it, but it didn't provide enough force to lift a car, so I just used my trusty tire jack that came with the Lexus. Today, acting on Corey's recommendation, I filled the jack he gave me with brake fluid. Now it works quite well!

So that was the success.



'Parked the Fiero in the garage and jacked it up to look for vacuum leaks. Several sources, including Corey, recommended using a gentle stream of propane to detect vacuum leaks while the engine was idling.

One of my sources was Eric the Car Guy on youtube. Here's a video about detecting vacuum leaks:



'Didn't find any vacuum leaks. I went up and down the vacuum lines and nothing happened. The engine didn't surge. It didn't cut out. Nothin'.

As a matter of fact, the car won't start now. The starter keeps cranking, but the engine won't turn over. Any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. Dale, I'm not a car person but we just had problems with ours that didn't want to run and sometime not start we had to chance out the MAF (mass air flow sensor) it was going to cost us $590 at the dealership but my hubby Lyston did it for $209 cost of part and about 10mins time. We have a 1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon, Also my brother Ben Williams is or family mechanic but he also is a master mechanic for VW. just wanted to thank you for you blog and the motivation to try and fix things on our own

    ReplyDelete